The decision to study abroad can be overwhelming. However, with adequate knowledge and the right study abroad tips, things can become smooth sailing. In 2021, the number of international students reached the 5 million threshold and is projected to grow by 5 percent in the upcoming years. In case you are one of the hundreds of thousands of students contemplating higher learning in a foreign country, then knowing about the top study abroad destinations can be highly advantageous. So, which are the best countries for studying abroad? Let us find out!
TOP FIVE STUDY ABROAD DESTINATIONS FOR 2023
The United States of America – The first country on our list is not surprising. The USA has been the most sought-after host country for international students for decades. In terms of magnitude, the USA emerges as the nation with the highest number of international students (1075496 students in 2022). In addition, the most represented countries in the USA are China, South Korea, and India. So, what makes the USA such a popular study abroad destination? Well, an array of reasons, such as –
- A plethora of Choices – With approximately 5500 colleges and universities, the United States has institutions for people from all walks of life. In addition, the USA is a stalwart in terms of program availability, as there is an extensive choice of undergraduate and graduate degrees spanning every discipline.
- Work Opportunities – International students can also work while studying in the USA. The F-1 student visa allows you to find part-time employment and support your lifestyle. One of the best study abroad tips for the USA is finding affordable accommodation near your institution to save on commuting expenses.
- Scholarships – Although studying in the USA is a pricey affair, most institutions offer excellent scholarships and financial aid for international students. More than 1100 scholarships are available at the country’s top universities for international students, which provide an average monthly stipend of USD 2000 along with tuition fees and accommodation.
- Highest Standard of Education –American higher education is widely deemed the gold standard. Institutions like Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and others regularly top the list of the best educational institution all time.
The United Kingdom – The UK includes Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and England. The UK has 350 top-tier institutions offering international students undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma programs. It hosts 551495 international students, and the most represented nations include China, the USA, and India. So, what makes the UK one of the best study abroad destinations?
- Top-notch Educational Standards – The UK has a rich history of higher learning, with some of the world’s universities premised within its borders. In addition, 17 UK universities fare in the top 100 institutions. Therefore, when it comes to educational standards, the UK has a dazzling repertoire. Some of the best institutions in the UK are Oxford University, the University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, etc.
- Research and Innovation – Another reason the UK is a highly sought-after study abroad destination is the availability of cutting-edge research projects and facilities. They prioritize innovation and discoveries. The fact that over one-third of postgraduate students in the UK are international is a testimony to its research-oriented higher learning endeavors.
- Scholarships and Language Skills – The United Kingdom offers ample opportunities for international students to hone their English language skills. One of the best study abroad tips, if you want to study in the UK, is to apply for scholarships like ITM Scholarships, Dean’s Merit Scholarship, and Marc Global Professional Scholarship.
- Ethnic Multiplicity – The multicultural, vibrant, and diverse ambiance of the UK also provides an edge as a study abroad destination. We can also observe diversity within the educational premises of the UK, as 20.9 percent of all staff working at UK universities belongs to the international cohort. Such cultural multiplicity creates an inclusive, welcoming, and safe environment for international students.
Germany – Germany has an illuminating history of higher education and knowledge dissemination, especially in science and technology. The international student population of Germany is 302157, which accounts for 11.7 percent of the total student cohort. The most represented countries in Germany include China, India, and Syria. In addition, the recent removal of tuition fees from public universities has made the country one of the best places to study abroad.
- Lower Cost of Living – The primary reason Germany is an excellent destination for study abroad aspirations is the low cost of living. Germany is generally affordable for international students to live in and find viable employment to fund their lifestyles. For instance, you need GBP 862 per month to survive in Germany, which is much less than other top study abroad destinations.
- Extended Residence Permit – Germany also allows international students to stay for a while longer after they complete their studies. Its extended residence permit allows international students to stay 18 months after completing their course. Such leverage means that international students can utilize the extended time duration to find full-time employment, engage in research, or apply for further educational opportunities.
- Excellent STEM Subjects and Low Tuition – The public universities of Germany, such as the Technical University of Munich, Heidelberg University, Humboldt University of Berlin, etc., are towering hubs for STEM subjects and related research and development. In addition, apart from specific administrative fees that cost around GBP 150 to 250 per semester, you do not have to pay any money. Thus, Germany has one of the fastest-growing international student cohorts in the world. Lastly, another excellent study abroad tip is to opt for an international debit credit before you move to Germany for higher learning.
Australia – In the last few years, the number of international students studying in Australia has skyrocketed, making it one of the best countries for studying abroad. Affordable living and lower fee structure, as opposed to the Anglophone nations, have galvanized Australia’s position as an excellent study abroad destination. You might be surprised to know that the cost of living in Australia is 40 to 60 percent lower than in the USA and the UK. So, why is Australia so popular among international students?
- Top-tier Educational Standards – Seven Australian universities fare among the 100 best global universities. The country’s institutions regularly strive to adhere to the highest education standards. For instance, a recent survey shows that the international exposure students get by studying in Australia results in a 15 percent career growth annually. The University of Melbourne, the Australian National University, the University of Queensland, etc., are a few of the top-tier institutions in the country.
- Excellent Work-Study Options – Australia allows international students to work while studying. You can work more than 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) in any sector and help maintain your lifestyle.
- Extended Stay – Australia’s Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) enables students to stay and work after completing their studies. Therefore, international students can find feasible employment in the country during their extended stay.
- One of the best study abroad tips for those interested in pursuing higher education in Australia is to find an institution with a history of hiring its alums. Australian universities generally are inclined towards hiring graduate students from their own student base, and if you can get into this phenomenon, there is no looking back for you.
Canada – The fifth-best study abroad destination for international students in Canada. An advanced educational system, to-ranked higher learning institutions, and a safe environment make Canada extremely popular among the international student community. In terms of magnitude, Canada is the third-largest hub of international students, with 622000 students as of December 2021. Some of the pertinent reasons that make Canada an excellent study abroad destination are –
- Diverse and Inclusive Environment – Canada is one of the world’s most culturally diverse and tolerant societies. In fact, two of its cities – Toronto and Montreal – regularly fare among the most popular cities to study abroad.
- Sought-after STEM Subjects – Most Canadian universities offer world-class learning, and their stature is particularly strong with STEM disciplines. For instance, in 2018, 40 percent of students studying Math, Computer, and Informational Sciences were international. One of the best study abroad tips for those who prefer Canada is to make a list of their favored colleges beforehand and apply in a timely fashion.
- Popular MBA destination – Apart from STEM subjects, Canada’s focus on business-related disciplines also makes it an excellent study abroad choice for international students. In 2018, over one-third of Canada’s international students studied business. Institutions like Brock University, the University of Alberta, and the University of British Columbia are renowned for their business programs.
So, there we have it, a comprehensive overview of the top five countries for studying abroad in 2023. If you are contemplating applying to a university in one of the destinations mentioned above, then now is the time. One of the best study abroad tips we can give you is to plan as early as possible to make your international education dream a reality.